Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Playing Catch up!

So did any of you hear about the family whose picture was found as an advertisement in like Europe or Russia or somewhere? Apparently a guy was on a business trip and saw his neighbors on a sign for a business. Their family picture must have been stolen off a website or blog so I'm going to be extra careful these days and either put my logo on my pictures or size them small so printing is more of a pain. You never know what types of pictures are going to fit someone elses needs. Anyways, read below to see what we have been up to the last few months. I also finally got full time at work so I have been majorly busy.

This is my niece Aubrey. We took her to the Air Show with us. We had a really cool opportunity to go the Friday before it started as Law Enforcement Appreciation Day. It was nice we didn't have to fight the crowds and it was also nice cause it was overcast for the most part. Somehow I of course still got sunburned. It even sprinkled a few minutes while we were there. The unfortunate part was that the pictures just look kind of blah due to the blah sky.








I love having a zoom lens lol.










These were pics I took on Memorial Day. I went out with my boys and my parents to put flowers on graves. I love seeing all the flags everywhere on Memorial Day and everyone remembering those that have passed on and showing their respect.








This photo is my dad looking at his fathers headstone, who served in WWII, I think the flag is very fitting in this picture and it's one of my favs.


So lately I have been trying to go and visit my grandparents 1-2x weekly. I had not been very good at visiting them and they only live like 10 mins from my house. About 2 or 3 months ago my grandma was moved from the assisted living facility she was living in with my grandpa to across the street to a place more like a nursing home. I kept telling myself I really needed to get over there but kept letting other stuff get in the way. Sure I'm busy just like any other working parent out there but I realized it was really about priority. So one day I happen to be with my mom helping her clean out my grandparents home and after we were done stopped by to visit. Wow, I was in for a rude awakening. See, my grandma has dimensia and in the past it's always been kind of a funny thing like wow she asked that question 5 mins ago and this is the third time she's asking. But when I saw this woman I have known my whole life and who in years gone by has been known to not be very nice, this was not the same woman! She was basically a lot more gone than I had realized and boy did I feel guilty! So from that time on I have made it atleast once a week and most weeks twice. I made a decision that I did not want to be filled with regret when my grandparents passed and I had not made the effort to show them I loved them and for them to feel loved. That first day I visited my grandmother knew who I was. The second day she did not. I was very emotional that first visit and I still get a little choked up but I cannot tell you how happy I feel when I walk in that room and ask my grandmother if she remembers who I am and she does! She never ever complains or asks for anything. She is just happy to have visitors and watch my boys fight and play on her wheelchair. She's always in good spirits. Sometimes she remembers my boys but mostly she doesn't. I'll admit I sometimes struggle for what to talk about cause sometimes it feels like I'm telling her things again and again (cause I am) like where I work and who I'm married to. But the thing is, I feel better having gone even though it's a struggle taking my boys to her small little room and them fighting. Or the joys of when AJ or Brock decides to befriend a passerby in their wheelchair and scary things happen lol. Like the other day when we were there AJ was talking to a woman asking her if she needed help. She was in the process of pulling parts of her dirty diaper (only #1 thankfully) off and touching AJ on his arms and face. She was about to tuck the ripped off pieces into the front of his shirt when I rescued him! We were sure to immediately wash his hands, arms and face. Note to anyone thinking of visiting (which I highly encourage), go in the later evening like 8 and the other residents have gone to bed. Anyways, I really feel badly for my grandmother cause she just wants to go home which we are sure is not going to happen until she leaves this world and goes to her Heavenly home. My grandpa is also very lonely and even though he used to be very impatient with my children most of the times we visit he loves hearing them talk to him and watching them play. I love seeing this softer happier side of my grandpa but he is still very lonely. One day my mom and I took my grandma over to see my grandpa and he just couldn't wait to kiss her. It really choked me up. I can't imagine how that would feel if I were in his shoes knowing that my wife can't live with me anymore and I'm just trying to pass time until the Lord takes me home. The first week I saw my grandparents 3x and that was a very emotional week for me. It is very sad but I'm greatful I have this opportunity to visit with them. Right now it just feels like something I have to do but also something I get to do. Like I said before I don't want to feel regret of letting other unimportant things get in the way of showing my grandparents love before they die. I know if it were me, even if I didn't remember anyone I would want to be visited. So here are some pics of one of our first times visiting. I also want to add that if any of my family are thinking of visiting but don't necessarily want to go by themselves I will happily go with you to help break the ice and make it a little more comfortable. Just give me a call!!!







2 comments:

Cole and Amy said...

I'm glad you and your mom live so close and visit them so regularly. i wish we lived closer. and i know what you mean by emotional. i bawled when we helped move grandma into the nursing home.

The Teeples Times said...

I love your shots of the airplanes..WOW! How fun you got to go early and avoid the crowds. You will definitely be glad you're taking the time to visit your grandparents...it really is priceless! I used to work in a nursing home, and some of the "residents" definitely come up with some crazy things - good thing you were there to save him from the diaper incident. LOL